TRO: Holly Hill - Kent - Update!

Discuss political and Rights of Way issues related to trail riding

TRO: Holly Hill - Kent - Update!

Postby stevent » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 pm

[Read on to my next post for instructions on how to object]
Hi everyone

Urgently need people to object to experimental TROs on some great lanes in Kent. Details here:
http://www.trf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.p ... 776#p41776

Map:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=56 ... 64645&lm=0

These are fantastic lanes - we need to do whatever we can to maintain our access.

I think our best argument is that they should introduce a permit scheme that allows registered users to continue to use the lane - as for two other lanes in Kent: Bredhurst and Lenham.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last edited by stevent on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
stevent

Re: URGENT! TRO: Holly Hill - Kent - Please object BY 1ST FE

Postby mrchrisedwards » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 pm

done
mrchrisedwards
Site Admin

Postby fallenmikethebike » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:19 pm

Done.
Mike
fallenmikethebike

Postby stevent » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:21 pm

Here are the official documents
Attachments
2012 01 20 - BOATS MR45A, NS245 & NS221 and RS221 Experimental Scheme of Traffic Regulation.pdf
(3.64 MiB) Downloaded 103 times
stevent

Postby stevent » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Here is the email sent out to all South London and Surrey members... for reference / future reference.

Dear South London and Surrey TRF Member

Another TRO... in Kent, these are fantastic lanes. Please object, it should only take a few moments. We have stopped all of the recent proposed TROs and that is down to your objections (and its looking promising on Cradle Lane - TBC). So please take a few moments, it is easy, deadline is 1st February.

The proposal

Kent County Council and Medway Council want to place an Experimental TRO on a network of byways at Holly Hill (west of Upper Halling, Kent). The land surrounding these byways has suffered from a certain amount of illegal use for a considerable number of years. The biggest problem by far is illegal access by 4x4 drivers; this access is causing considerable damage to the surrounding SSSI. Then there is the problem with fly tipping and the dumping and burning out of stolen cars.

The proposal is to introduce a ‘permit scheme’ experimental TRO for a period of 18 months. The terms of the TRO are unacceptable as they would allow access on only two days per month on dates decided by the Council that have not been published. And for a maximum of 16 bikes per day. They would also limit access between 09.00 and 16.00. Access for responsible and legal trail bikers, who have not contributed to the problems, will be extremely curtailed.

How to object – the quick guide

The network of lanes cover two authorities you need to send an objection to two separate addresses. Cut and paste the text and send an email addresses (if you can rewrite into your own words). Make sure you receive confirmation your objection is received.
1. Kent CC: prow@kent.gov.uk
2. Medway Council: adam.taylor@medway.gov.uk

[insert your address – this is important]
Ref: CAS/GDR/12/BWG5&6
Dear Sir or Madam

I object to the proposed Experimental Traffic Regulation Orders on Byways Open to All Traffic (BOATs) MR45A, Snodland and NS245 & NS221 Luddesdown; and Byways Open to All Traffic (BOAT) RS221 & Chapel Lane (part) Halling.

My concern is about the detail of the permit system. To restrict motorcycles to only TWO days per month between the hours of 09:00 and 16:00 is unreasonable. The choice of days you make may not be acceptable to me for family reasons or because of my employment.

I can understand the reasons for having to have temporarily TRO’s on these roads because of the damage that has been caused by four wheeled vehicles trespassing and damaging the adjacent land and SSSI. As far as I’m aware, motorcyclists on road legal trail motorcycles have not caused this damage. We are again being penalised for a crime we are not committing.

I would like to see a permit system identical to those used successfully on the BOATs in Bredhurst and Lenham.

I would be grateful if you would acknowledge receipt of my objection.

Yours sincerely

[your name]

If you want to send by post the addresses are:

1. Kent County Council for Byways Open to All Traffic (BOATs) MR45A, Snodland and NS245 & NS221 Luddesdown

Graham Rusling
Kent County Council
Invicta House
Maidstone
Kent
ME14 1XX

2. Medway Council for Byways Open to All Traffic (BOAT) RS221 & Chapel Lane (part) Halling

Medway Council
Regeneration, Community and Culture
Civic Headquarters
Gun Wharf
Dock Road
Chatham
Kent
ME4 4TR

If you want to find out more or discuss this with other members...

Visit the Surrey TRF Forum thread:
http://surreytrf.free-forums.org/urgent-tro-holly-hill-kent-please-object-by-1st-feb-vt1104.html
[The official documents from the Councils are posted on this thread]

Or national TRF Forum thread:
http://www.trf.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=5867&start=0&sid=75a22ce934e2c3f8d4709fe517acb46d

Map of where the lanes are:
[url]http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=567520&y=164645&z=120&sv=567520,164645&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=832&ax=567520&ay=164645&lm=0
[/url]
Bredhurst / Lenham permit scheme:
http://www.kent.gov.uk/environment_and_planning/countryside_access/traffic_regulation_orders/bredhurst_and_lenham.aspx

Other possible objections / questions / ideas for letters - put these into your own words:

· The permit conditions are too restrictive and unfairly penalise legal and responsible trail bikers.
· The problems are primarily due to 4x4 misuse of the byway. Responsible and legal trail bikers should not be restricted as a result.
· Why such restrictive hours (9am to 4pm)? What is the rationale for these hours, and why should I be prevented from using the byway on a summer evening?
· Why have the dates not been published? How can I know whether the dates KCC choose will be convenient for me? What if I am working or have family commitments on the dates you choose?
· What happens if I have a puncture, breakdown or I need to make some other repair and cannot leave the lane (or get locked in?)
· What if I experience an accident or medical emergency on the route and am again locked in, or help locked out?
· Why 16 motorcycles maximum? What if individuals who are anti-motor vehicles, block book permits, and do not use them, in order to prevent legitimate applicants obtaining permits?
· Kent County Council will fail in its duties to to secure the expeditious, convenient and safe movement of vehicular and other traffic (including pedestrians) (Section 122 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984) and to assert and protect the rights of the public to the use and enjoyment of any highway (Section 130 of the Highways Act 1980).
· I do not believe sufficient attention has been given to motorcycles, in isolation to other classes of vehicle, in deciding to proceed with making these TROs.
Solutions
· Introduce a permit scheme for motorcycles similar to the successful scheme at Bredhurst and Lenham, i.e. without restrictions on days or times.
· A narrow gate with combination lock for motorcyclists could be provided, which would still restrict rogue drivers of larger 4x4 vehicles. A separate locked gate could be provided to continue to permit controlled access for responsible drivers of 4x4s.

Please object by 1st February - we've found recently that other Councils really have taken notice of a large number of objections.

Don't forget it is club night this Wednesday (25th) - with a tyre changing demo, some awards and an update on proposed Cradle Lane TRO - so should be a good night.
[url]http://surreytrf.free-forums.org/january-25th-club-night-demo-for-changing-inner-tubes-vt1059.html
[/url]
Thank you

Steven Taylor
Surrey Trail Riders Fellowship
Last edited by stevent on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevent

Postby John B » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Done today
John B

Postby stevent » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Well done those who have objected already - those of you who haven't yet - please do it! We need as many objections as possible!
stevent

Postby Steve Sharp » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Done.

Its very quick and simple, so dont delay!!
Steve Sharp
Site Admin

Postby mudeevee » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:25 am

Done. Tx
mudeevee

Postby DC. » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Done. Thanks for making it so easy. RoW thread now subscribed too.

Steven, just to let you know, I didn't receive any email notification as suggested :(
My other ride is a Vstrom DL650
DC.

Postby Wilso » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:25 pm

Done.
Wilso

Postby stevent » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Excellent, every objection counts. :D
DC. wrote:Steven, just to let you know, I didn't receive any email notification as suggested :(

When did you join up? I suspect that the list I used doesn't have latest members joining up.
stevent

Postby Webbyc » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:32 pm

Now sent to both email addresses :D
Webbyc

Postby kevpg » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 pm

Objections sent.

Kev
kevpg

Postby 19col58 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:50 pm