TRO : Cradle Lane, Hants- objection time is NOW

Discuss political and Rights of Way issues related to trail riding

TRO : Cradle Lane, Hants- objection time is NOW

Postby Steve Sharp » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi- Cradle Lane, both parts, south of Alice Holt, is due to have a TRO slapped on it- some details ie who to write to, when ( now) how to object, and some documents can be seen here;

http://www.saynototro.com/cradle%20lane.html

Have a look there click in the relevant links, and send on your objections now- Closing date is 28th October, 2011-

my personal view: do not be fooled by the 'promise to review the bike exemption' in future - 'review' can also mean 'close permanently, ' which is more likely- as it is now, the proposal allows bikes for 3 months only, June July August only- closed for 9 months of the year, with total closure for all other mechanised vehicles- in my view, they will close it for us too- note especially the date of the 'review,' ie May 2012, just before the lane may re-open for bikes- my suspicion is this- they are trying to buy us off now with a 3 months 'sop' a only to snatch it away at the last moment when its too late to stop it, with their review: cynical? maybe--- wouldn't you be? cheers gullwingracer
Steve Sharp
Site Admin

Re: TRO : Cradle Lane, Hants- objection time is NOW

Postby Steve Sharp » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:31 pm

Objection sent..

Make sure we get as many objections sent off as possible... this is a good link into Hampshire from Surrey...

If you havent objected get yours in asap.
Steve Sharp
Site Admin

Postby stevent » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:29 pm

Objection sent.

Come on everyone lets get as many in as possible!
stevent

Postby stevent » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:58 pm

Email shot just gone to all members!
stevent

Postby 19col58 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:50 pm

This is one we can and must win.
The proposed TROs will ban all motorised vehicles with 3 or more wheels [4x4s, quads and sidecar outfits] permanently, it will also ban motorcycles for nine months of the year subject to a review prior to opening to bikes in June next year. This review is not going be of the nine month ban but of the three month opening.
HCC claim to have repaired Cradle Lane at "significant" cost, so it should have been done to a high standard. They also say; "The route was then made available to walkers, cyclists, horse riders and horse drawn carriages in turn during 2011. Through this staged reopening of of the route the appropriate level of restriction has been tested so that the least restrictive option can be taken for the long term." For this staged reopening to have given any worthwhile test results, surely it should have been opened to each group of users in turn until damage occurred and then ban the last group and above. By applying for a TRO against motorcycles without any evidence that they cause damage must mean that HCC have not followed their own guidelines about taking the least restrictive option.
The main campaigner for these TROs is a local councillor who lives very close to Cradle Lane and is a tireless campaigner for Rights of Way, but only in creating new bridleways, upgrading footpaths to bridleways and downgrading byways to bridleways. At a recent inquiry into the creation of a new bridleway adjoining Cradle Lane 400 pages of evidence were submitted by this councillor.
This is the level of commitment we are up against and is why we should all make an objection NOW!
Thanks
Colin
19col58

Postby mrchrisedwards » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:47 am

right then ..same drill as before ... paste the website of any forum's you have pasted this on

london IAM group
http://www.l-a-m.org/forum/index.php/topic,137.0.html
mrchrisedwards
Site Admin

Postby mrchrisedwards » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:58 am

now on london bikers

please join and look like its getting momentum !

http://londonbikers.com/forums/the-bike ... t?Update=1
mrchrisedwards
Site Admin

Postby mrchrisedwards » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:15 pm

mrchrisedwards
Site Admin

Postby mrchrisedwards » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:19 pm

mrchrisedwards
Site Admin

Postby 19col58 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:26 pm

I've just come back from Headley after having a look at Cradle Lane and I'm gobsmacked. There is now no physical reason at all for a TRO of any sort on this byway. The northern end [Kingsley BOAT 29] from Frith End to the ford has been rebuilt and covered with a thick layer of compacted scalpings, and the drainage ditches have been reinstated. The ford itself has been rebuilt using concrete blocks to a sufficient distance up the banks that the river would have to be around five feet above its current level before reaching the track! The southern end [Headley BOAT 36] from the ford to Headley Park has not been resurfaced, apart from about 20yds from the ford, but the soil here is sandy and should have adequate drainage. I don't claim to be any sort of civil engineer, and I know it's been very dry lately but I would have thought that the lane as it is now should last many years with no maintenance apart from clearing the ditches. The whole route has been waymarked as Shipwrights Way on blue [bridleway?] discs. At the road junction a large gate and several posts have been put in preventing access to 4x4s. Is this legal before the TROs come into force? There is a notice of the proposed TROs but nothing of any current ones, are there any currently in force?
Why HCC now want a TRO I don't know [but can guess]. The repairs have been done to such a high standard perhaps they should run coach trips down Cradle Lane to show the public how good they are!

Colin
19col58

Postby stevent » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:38 pm

Well done Chris

Colin - I think there is temporary TRO on it at the moment, and they've been gradually lifing it to one user group at a time. Ron has altered me us that the blue Shipwrights Way discs have appeared on another route the byway across Alice Holt - but get this, they have REMOVED the red byway discs. They could easily have kept both. It will just cause us grief if people don't realise it is a byway. No justification for removing the red byway markers.

S.
stevent

Postby 19col58 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:38 am

I cant find anything online about a current temporary TRO. I did however find this;
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/row/making-cha ... policy.htm
I wonder if anyone at HCC has ever read it and applied it to Cradle Lane, obviously not!

I've printed up some flyers and am going to e-mail Witley MCC to see if they can hand them out with the start nos. at their LDT on Sunday. It seems a good opportunity to reach a couple of hundred sympathetic and active riders. Normally I would have put this out for discussion but time is short so I hope I'm not treading on anybodies toes;

HELP US KEEP YOUR BYWAYS OPEN
Hampshire County Council are proposing to close Cradle Lane to all vehicles, permanently, except for motorcycles for three months of the year.
Please help us keep this lane open for all users by objecting to these TROs.
Google Surrey TRF, click on the forum, then rights of way, then Cradle Lane. Follow the links in the posts and be shocked by the story that unfolds.
Thanks for reading this, now object and help keep LDTs and Trail Riding alive!
South London and Surrey TRF.

Maybe not perfect but this needs to be done now.

Steve, sorry to hear Ron has altered you, does he do this to people on a regular basis?
Colin
19col58

Postby fallenmikethebike » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Sterling work Colin,well done, :D and a great idea to grab some support from Witley riders, you may wish to include in you're brief to the riders that this YEARLY event has been heavily cited as one of the primary reasons for the need to close this lane, with "gangs of scramblers roaring up and down the byway" :evil: :evil: one of their favourite lies.
Needless to say the implications of this logic must be fundamentally K.O.d as strongly as possible, and riders rights to access legal Byways on legal machines will not be at the whim or discretion of self appointed guardians of the rights of way network, who "just happen to have" :roll: bought a house next to a Byway without checking it's status thoroughly, and now wish to crusade and have our rights annihilated.
:idea: Is there any chance Witley could include Brian's brilliant site :arrow:
http://www.saynototro.com/
onto their results sheet of their own web sight :?:
That way they riders could just click onto the all the information in a moment.
Mike
fallenmikethebike

Postby lumley_ron » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:24 pm

Dear Motorcyclist / Trail Rider

Can you please help by objecting to the proposed S-TRO on Cradle Lane this will effect all future LTD's and trail riding, unfortunately it's the number of objections that count in Surrey recently we had over 1,000 objections to a proposed Tro which had a positive result.

" Proposed Seasonal Traffic Regulation Order Cradle Lane Hampshire

Hampshire CC claim that the extra long 9 month S-TRO will allow the surface of the reworked ford to compact down and also avoid damage to the surface over the wet winter months, this water splash doesn't dry up in the summer months water will always be carried out of the ford on to the entry/exit ramps by all user's.

As the new ford exit ramps are now concrete and are also very shallow compared to the steep ramps of the old ford which also had exposed tree roots that held water. you could now drive a JCB through the watersplash without causing surface damage.

Also 4x4's are no longer permitted to use the byway and as the drainage ditches have been unblocked the rest of the route should remain rut free.

It is some time since the work was completed and as we have had a long dry summer to consolidate the surface and the rework to this Byway has been carried out to a much higher standard than required for such a Byway, then the need for a TRO should not be necessary .

Low pressure motorcycle tyre's will have less impact on the surface in the winter months than steel horse shoes, this S-TRO does not make sense,as can be seen by the youtube clip it was not motorcycles that caused the appalling damage at the old ford.

See attachments of Cradle Lane before and after repair ( front cover of Horsey Talk ) which shows the new ford, does this level of repair really require a TRO or is it just to prepare it for part of the new Shipwrights Way ?.

Cradle Lane is a vital link on the Surrey/Hampshire border it is very important that we keep this link open 12 months of the year.

For those that have not seen the youtube clip of the culprits that caused all the damage at the old ford take a look at the evidence http://youtu.be/Fw3uCp6LLr0 ( Polish Off Road W UK ) Cradle Lane Ford.

E-mail your objections to row.notices@hants.gov.uk before 28Th October 2011 and ask for acknowledgement of your objection.
lumley_ron

Postby 19col58 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:02 am

I've printed 200 copies of the flyer using the text on my last post, if anyone reads our forum and follows the links they should be able to find all the info they need. All a bit clunky I know but the best I could do in the time available and given my lack of IT admin skills. I'm waiting to hear back from Witley MCC re them giving them out on with the road book or rider nos. If not I'll do it myself when and where possible.

I was having trouble getting on the forum yesterday until about 9am this morning, was the server down? [HCC hackers?]

I'd better go and prepare my bike now!

Thanks Colin
19col58

Next

Return to Political & RoW