See new topic/thread - TRO Byway 538 & 539 - Details

Discuss political and Rights of Way issues related to trail riding

See new topic/thread - TRO Byway 538 & 539 - Details

Postby Steve Sharp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:58 pm

Please send in your objection by 27th August!

Hi All,

I urge everyone to write a letter and object to the proposed TRO's, if we do not object in vast numbers the local council will implement the TRO.

If we do not fight this, the local councils will realise that they can close Byways without any valid reason, and they will close the Byways across the county. This is serious, object now!

Surrey County Council Countryside Access team have stated that the Byways do not meet the Surrey CC TRO Policy, and recommend that they should be repaired, vegetation is cut back and speed advisory signs are erected instead of a TRO. However, they were overuled by the local council, who are determined to TRO the Byways.

There are two attachements:

One attachment contains all of the official council notification documents: Covering letter, maps, reasons for the TRO, how to object.

One attachment contains the facts, points and guidance, as to why they should not implement a TRO. This will help you write your letter and object to the TRO.

If you find it difficult to write a letter please just write a few words saying that you object, and state a few main reasons. We must generate as many objections as possible.

Do not hesitate to contact me for any advice, guidance, or to discuss any aspect of this.

Regards
Steve Sharp
Surrey TRF RoW Officer
Attachments
BOAT 538 and 539 TRO_2nd Notification_bullet points for response_issue 1.doc
Facts And Guidance For Objection
(58 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
Surrey CC TRO attachments_20_07_2010.zip
Surrey CC TRO Notification Documents
(563.48 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Last edited by Steve Sharp on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Steve Sharp
Site Admin

Re: Act Now - TRO Byway 538 & 539 Objection Details

Postby Faisal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Steve,
well done in sorting and packaging all this stuff together - must take quite a bit off your time. My objection will be in the post this weekend.

Cheers
Faisal
Faisal

Postby stevent » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Hi all
Here is my objection letter attached, please feel free to borrow the arguments I make, here is a brief summary of the reasons I think we can give:
- The council’s failure to implement the recommendations made in the Council Officials, that measures other than TROs be taken.
- The council’s failure to comply with Surrey County Council TRO policy.
- The council’s failure to consider or implement less restrictive measures in the first instance.
- That the first ground for making the TROs, “significant danger to users of the route”, is exaggerated, that any danger is not greater than on any other route, that measures can be taken to improve safety including cutting back overgrowth as recommended in the Council report, that the route is sufficiently wide to permit passing, and that illegal or dangerous driving should be reported to the police.
- That the second ground for making the TROs, to prevent significant damage to the route, is not valid, as damage is minimal, the lanes are not category '3', and a budget exists to fund repairs.
- The council’s failure to perform its duty under Section 122 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, to conduct an adequate balancing exercise between the case for the TRO and its duty to secure the expeditious, convenient and safe movement of vehicular and other traffic (including pedestrians).
- The council’s failure to mention in the Statement of Reasons its obligations under Section 122 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.
- The council’s failure to adhere with DEFRA guidance Making the Best of Byways
- That the TRO unfairly penalises legitimate legal and courteous recreational trail riders who adhere to the relevant codes of conduct when using green lanes, especially given they can only use less than 4% of Surrey’s rights of way.
- That all users should be treated fairly, including trail riders as well as walkers, cyclists, horse drawn carriage drivers, horse riders and 4x4 users.
- The council’s failure to base the decision for the TRO on robust evidence.
Attachments
TRO 538,539 Objection Letter.rtf
Draft objection letter - TRO 538,539 - please feel free to use arguments but don't cut and paste, personalise...
(117.2 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
stevent

Postby Steve Sharp » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Faisal, Thanks, yes it took a while but something that is worthwhile...

Steven, Very good points to share with everyone...thanks.

Steve
Steve Sharp
Site Admin

Postby Sven » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:50 pm

FYI guys I made a video here which 17,000+ people are notified about instantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5LTUOt55gs

My vids usually entertain ~6,500 views when first released. Of course it's a worldwide medium but judging from the comments it's already entertained a handful of objection letters being raised.

Hope it helps.
Last edited by Sven on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sven

Postby Steve Sharp » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:24 am

Excellent video, thanks..

steve
Steve Sharp
Site Admin

Postby fallenmikethebike » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:51 pm

:D Well done Sven, uncluttered, and , informative video.
I believe the "bar" has been set at 35 letters of support for the TRO, we have just in our Branch nearly 200 registered members.
If we can't out gun that response, for two of our crucial lanes I for one will be seriously soul searching the time I give up for TRF activities.
Mike
fallenmikethebike

Postby alanbrown » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:44 pm

All......I'm not one to post on Forums, usually I just enjoy their benfits whilst somone else puts in the hard work! But Steve is right, if we don't object we're all going to loose alot of our fun.....lets make the effort to object other wise there will be nowhere left to enjoy our toys!
alanbrown

Postby Gavinskii » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Sven wrote:FYI guys I made a video here which 17,000+ people are notified about instantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5LTUOt55gs

My vids usually entertain ~6,500 views when first released. Of course it's a worldwide medium but judging from the comments it's already entertained a handful of objection letters being raised.

Hope it helps.

Sven, thanks for doing this - judging by the comments its certainly stirred up a lot of support from people who are incensed by the injustice of the propsal.
It's great to think of people from all around the world emailing in their objections, however that doesn't mean that us TRF guys and girls can relax. Each and everyone of us needs to get an objection letter or email sent.... NOW
ImageImage
Gavinskii

Postby mrchrisedwards » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Can we have a poll of who has actually objected to the TRO from this forum ?
mrchrisedwards
Site Admin

Postby Steve Sharp » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:45 pm

Its fantastic that so many non TRF people are objecting.....

I will be very dismayed if more non TRF people object than local TRF members....considering we have about 180 surrey TRF members

It will seriously make me question why I spend so many hours of my own time doing rights of way work and physically attending meetings with surrey county council Rights of Way department to try and keep our Byways open...

Steve
Steve Sharp
Site Admin

Postby fallenmikethebike » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Yes, quite right Steve, and I for one wouldn't shy from, embarrassing, some of our more, shrinking violet, members into action with an on-line, "mines done" thread. After all, it's only a head count of those that do care, as opposed to those that just say they care.
That should include any one who has ever been out on one of Steve's excellently lead runs, or any of the other run leaders who give up their own time to lead and entertain others, at their own cost.
We absolutely must, bury, and squash, this proposal with shear weight of numbers, outraged at it's unfairness,and lack of procedural etiquette.
Mike
fallenmikethebike

Postby kevpg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:13 pm

Yes I agrre with Mike and Steve's comments. If you ride the lanes then you must object! It is very easy, email is fine and a few lines will be better than nothing.
Please object before we loose more lanes.
Kev
kevpg

Postby zedtours » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:37 pm

mrchrisedwards wrote:Can we have a poll of who has actually objected to the TRO from this forum ?

I did
zedtours

Postby Wurls » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:56 am

Stropogram duly sent to Hannah Gutteridge at SCC. I'll post my letter on the forum when I get better email access.

Who's next?

AndrewB
Last edited by Wurls on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wurls

Next

Return to Political & RoW